Top Ten Torontopia Treats – In no particular order, with more debuts, a younger vibe & probably a truer reflection of the live music experienced this year
1. – Zeus – Something Awesome – Debut on Arts & Crafts soon. Slightly abnormal obsession with the melodic beauty of this band has led me to memorize their set.
2. – Jason Collett – Here’s To Being Here – A grower & more for the Basement Revue than the contents of the record.
3. – Brendan Canning – Something For All Of Us – Let’s make it an A&C hattrick, shall we?
4. - Laura Barrett – Victory Garden – The city’s kalimba kween – long may she reign.
5. – Constantines – Kensington Heights – They get better every record. Insane.
6. – The D’Urbervilles – We Are The Hunters – Lost none of the fun frenetic energy of the EP in the ‘real’ LP release. So good.
7. – Samantha Martin – Back Home – Smoky-voiced sultry country singer worth checking out next time you’re in town.
8. – William Delray – s/t – Mark my words: Anything you buy recorded by Wm will be a collector’s item someday.
9. – Sloan – Parallel Play – 10th album & still solid – A song about a witch’s wand, you ask? Amazing, I reply.
10. – Proof of Ghosts – s/t – Royal City meets Cuff The Duke under the mentorship of Neil Young to create banjoriffic fuzzy amazingness. Makes you wish you had a cottage.
Honourable Metro Mentions: Paso Mino (Had I made the list next week, this’d probably be #3, I can’t stop listening to ‘Canadian Skin’ on repeat), Gentleman Reg